So, I needed a sweet for New Year’s Day and I am NOT a baker. I can do it but it is not something I enjoy. I love cooking because I can mix and add ingredients as I see fit and not have to worry about whether or not the cake or bread is going to rise if I change the recipe.
This recipe for Eclair Cake from High Heels & Grills.com looked simple and I had most of the ingredients on hand.
This was delicious and super easy. It took about 10 minutes to put together and then about 8 hours in the refrigerator to set. Everyone loved it. For something so simple this was a highlight of the day.
I preferred this recipe over many of the others I looked at for a similar cake because it had a homemade icing on top. Most other recipes I saw called for chocolate canned frosting. This one had a great dark chocolate taste just like real eclairs!
- 1 box of graham crackers
- 2 (3.4 oz) boxes of vanilla instant pudding
- 3 1/4 cups of whole milk
- 12 oz. Cool Whip
- 6 TBSP butter
- 6 TBSP milk
- 6 TBSP cocoa
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- Beat milk and vanilla pudding mix in a large bowl for 2 minutes.
- Fold in cool whip.
- In a 9×13 inch pan, layer graham crackers to cover entire bottom of pan.
- Pour 1/2 of the filling mixture over the graham crackers.
- Put another layer of graham crackers on top of mixture to cover entire surface. (Cut and shape accordingly.)
- Put the second half of pudding mixture on top and level.
- Put the final layer of graham crackers on top to cover entire surface with bumpy side down. (This will help the top look more smooth when you put the frosting on top. Again cut and shape accordingly.)
- In a separate bowl, microwave the butter and milk just long enough, that they are melted together.
- Add cocoa and powdered sugar and blend together well. (This is meant to be a runny frosting/glaze.)
- Pour frosting over top of graham crackers and smooth out nicely. Cover loosely with aluminum foil (or you will get a hole in it like my picture has).
- Refrigerate for at least 8 hours.