This was a meal I made by opening up the cupboards and started pulling jars. We had friends in town that we didn’t know when they were arriving or when they would be able to see us. They were traveling through town with their extended family and we knew we could have to leave at any time when they had a free moment.
We got the call that they could meet us in 30-45 minutes at the fountain downtown and I hadn’t even made dinner yet. I knew my family could not go out and be civil and social when they are hungry. I needed food on the table in 15 minutes that would fill them up and keep them satisfied for a few hours.
Jar of pesto, jar of roasted red peppers a box of pasta and two boneless, skin less chicken breasts are what I had on hand. Pesto Pasta with Roasted Red Peppers and Grilled Chicken it is.
This was a hit. Both kids said that this had great flavor and was very filling. My son loved when the pasta turned green from the pesto. It was very simple to make this a gluten-free dish for my mostly gluten-free son by making his with gluten-free pasta.
I served this dinner with a green side salad.
- 8 oz. pasta (I used leftovers from two boxes that were open)
- 1 cup prepared pesto or your own homemade
- 1/2 cup sliced roasted red peppers, drained if from a jar
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, freshly shredded
- 2 chicken breasts, pounded down to 1/2″ grilled and then chopped into 1″ pieces
- Cook pasta according to package directions to al dente and then drain.
- While pasta is cooking grill chicken until cooked through. Remove from grill and allow to cool slightly and then cut into 1″ pieces.
- Once pasta is cooked mix pesto and roasted red peppers with pasta.
- Place pasta on plate and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Place chicken over pasta and add a bit more cheese. Serve immediately.