The first day of summer is usually a day to celebrate for us. The longest day of the year is a day we generally go to the beach or watch the sunset over Lake Michigan. Yesterday was cool and cloudy so those things were not going to happen. Changes in traditions are tough for my little family. So, we had to find something else to do.
We made pizza together. We all had a hand in making dinner last night. My son made the chili, my partner stretched the crust, I put it all together, while my daughter set the table. It was fun. We were all together for the first time in three days (my son has been on a school trip to Washington DC). The best part of my little family? The laughter. If nothing else when we are all together there is laughter. We have a great time together.
My family loved this dinner. They all were a bit skeptical until they tasted it. It was yummy! I love trying different toppings on pizza and this is one we will be doing again. The chili was simple and flavorful. There was plenty of cheese and the onion made it taste just like a chili cheese dog to me.
Serve this with a green salad to complete your meal.
Simple Chili Cheese Dog Pizza with Herbed Crust
- 1 lb. ball of pizza dough
- 1/2 tablespoon melted butter
- 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 teaspoon garlic
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes, if desired
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 2 cups ketchup
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 tablespoon prepared yellow mustard
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 6 hot dogs, sliced
- 1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese and Monterey Jack cheese
Heat a skillet over medium heat and add 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Add the ground beef, breaking it up with the back of a spoon, and cook until nicely browned, about 10 minutes.
Stir in the ketchup, chili powder, and mustard; simmer for 15 minutes until thick; season with salt and pepper. Taste and adjust spices to your liking.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Spread dough out on pizza stone with corn meal or oiled rimmed baking sheet. Pierce with fork to keep from raising too much. Bake for 5 minutes until crust sets. Remove pan from oven.
- Brush melted butter around edges of pizza. Sprinkle with cheese and herbs over edges.
- Spread chili mix over center of pizza. Sprinkle hot dogs over top of chili. Cover with cheese mixture and then onions.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes until crust is golden on the bottom and cheese is hot and bubbly.