This weekend was super busy so it is time to pull out an old favorite recipe. It’s not pretty but it is oh so good!
This recipe was AMAZING! I knew what I wanted to make but when I saw the recipe for Buffalo-Chicken Macaroni and Cheese on Foodnetwork.com my menu changed quickly.
I followed the recipe except I used cheddar cheese instead of Pepper Jack cheese because my children like spicy but I was afraid this would bring it over the top. I also did not add blue cheese to the topping as I didn’t have any. My family did ask that next time I make it to give them a side of ranch or blue cheese dipping sauce for the dish.
Buffalo-Chicken Macaroni and Cheese
- 7 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus more for the dish
- 1 pound elbow macaroni
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 3 cups shredded chicken, I used 4 breasts poached
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3/4 cup hot sauce (preferably Frank’s- use more or less to taste)
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 2 1/2 cups half-and-half
- 1 1/2 blocks yellow sharp cheddar cheese, cut into 1-inch cubes (about 3 1/2 cups)
- 2/3 cup sour cream
- 1 cup panko
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and butter a 9-by-13-inch pan. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil; add the pasta and cook until al dente, about 7 minutes. Drain.
- Melt 3 tablespoons butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and celery and cook until soft, about 5 minutes. Stir in the chicken and garlic and cook 2 minutes, then add 1/2 cup hot sauce and simmer until slightly thickened, about 1-2 more minutes.
- In a second saucepan melt 2 tablespoons butter in a sauce pan over medium heat. Stir in the flour and mustard until smooth. Whisk in the half-and-half, then add the remaining 1/4 cup hot sauce and stir until thick, about 2 minutes. Whisk in the cheddar cheese, then whisk in the sour cream until smooth.
- Spread half of the macaroni in the prepared baking dish, then top with the chicken mixture and the remaining macaroni. Pour the cheese sauce evenly over the top.
- Put the remaining 2 tablespoons butter in a medium microwave-safe bowl and microwave until melted. Stir in the panko and parsley. Sprinkle over the macaroni and bake until bubbly, 30 to 40 minutes. Let rest 5 minutes before serving.