Not having power, even for one day, has really thrown my week off. We ended going out to dinner on Tuesday because I couldn’t prepare anything and I wouldn’t let anyone open the freezer or the refrigerator. Noodles & Co. for dinner!
But, I need to use up the rest of the vegetables leftover from the party over the weekend. I had lots of broccoli left so I made a creamy broccoli and cheddar soup in my slow cooker.
The family really liked this. I was the lone holdout. I liked the soup but I prefer my broccoli well cooked, well almost mushy. I know it is not as good for you but that is how I like it. The kids like it with a bit of a bite as they prefer meals they can chew. So, if you like your broccoli well done in your soup I suggest you steam it a bit before you add it to this dish to that it cooks more. Just adding it to the slow cooker it is done but has what I call tooth to it.
I served this with a loaf of Garlic Parmesan bread for dipping.
Slow Cooker Broccoli and Cheese Soup
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons butter
- 2/3 cup flour
- 4 1/2 cups half and half (fat-free works well)
- 4 1/2 cups chicken stocks
- ½ onion, diced
- 5 cups chopped broccoli florets
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 3 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese (yellow)
- Salt and Black pepper, to taste
- optional: extra cheese or croutons for topping
- In a large saucepan over medium heat melt the butter. Add flour once butter has melted and whisk into a thick paste. Stir for 1-2 minutes. Slowly add half and half into the pan whisking the entire time. Continue to whisk until mixture thickens. Pour into slow cooker.
- To slow cooker add chicken stock, onion, cream cheese and garlic. Mix well. Cook for 5 hours on low.
- Fifteen minutes before serving add cheese to the soup and mix well. Allow it to melt. Taste and adjust spices to your liking adding salt and black pepper as necessary.
- Serve topped with croutons and cheese, if desired.