One of my favorite things last January was I looking at many different websites, television shows, and curators of lists to see what some of the top trends in food for 2018 may be. How did they do? Here are the top five things I found that they predicted for 2018:
- Comfort Food
- Making your food look great.
- Mideastern Cuisine
- Vegetables will be at the top of the food chain
Overall I think they hit all the high points except maybe the Mideastern Cuisine. I saw a bit of an uptick in Middle Eastern Food but not as much as I would have expected.
What are they predicting for 2019? Here are some of the highlights I have been seeing across several lists:
- Health Based Eating – Curing a cold? Trying to lower your blood pressure? Eating for wellness will become a trend that should last over the next several years. Spices, vegetables, and bone broths will be tops in this category.
- Convenience will be key – People are still trying to cook at home but they are looking more to delivery services that bring prepped meals to their door. Whether they be from on-line stores or grocery stores prepped meals in perfect portion sizes will continue this year.
- Keto and Paleo will be everywhere this year. You will see more Keto or Paleo friendly dishes in restaurants, grocery stores, and recipe indexes.
- Spice packets – Going hand in hand with #3 look for more recipe specific spice packets. Still have that entire bottle of garam masala hanging out in your spice rack? These will allow you to cook your recipes with little to no leftover spices.
- Healthy Kids’ Snacks – Crackers and chips will be passed over for yogurt, spreads, and snacks containing hidden vegetables. Carrots in almond butter or peas in spaghetti sauce? How do you get your little ones to eat their veggies?
What is your favorite trend you are seeing in food? Do you think these people are right on or way off?