Still on the grilling kick. Usually for my birthday dinner I will choose steak but this year after eating lots of beef in Disney World it didn’t seem as festive as it did there. So, I decided to go with fresh grilled salmon with dill sauce. Similar to what we had at Akershus in the Norway Pavilion it sounded perfect with rice pilaf and fresh green beans.
This was amazing! I think this was the best meal I have ever had on my birthday! The salmon was perfectly moist and flavorful. The skin was super crispy and peeled right off. The dill sauce delicious and added a creamy tartness to the dish. My family wanted to eat the sauce with a spoon. I said next time we get potato chips and they could eat it with those too.
Grilled Salmon with Dill Sauce
A perfect dish for a restaurant style meal at home.
- 2 lbs. salmon, skin on
- olive oil
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 – 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoon dill
- 2/3 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup mayonaisse
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons capers, crushed
- zest and juice of 1/2 a lemon
- salt and black pepper, to taste
- Preheat grill and clean grate. Rub grate with oil before placing salmon on grill.
- To prepare salmon run salmon with olive oil. Massage the meat with your hands to spread the oil evenly over the entire salmon. In a small bowl mix together paprika, garlic powder, chili powder, salt and pepper. Rub over salmon. Allow to sit for 5 minutes before beginning to grill.
- While salmon is resting mix together all the ingredients for the dill sauce. Taste and adjust spices as necessary. Cover and refrigerate while salmon is cooking.
- Place salmon on grill skin side down. Let set for about 8 minutes before turning it over. The fish should easily release when it has cooked enough. Don’t force it or it will fall apart. Turn salmon over for about 2-3 minutes (depending on thickness) until grill parks appear. Check salmon for doneness.
- Remove salmon from grill and serve with dill sauce over the top.