We are trying to eat more fish and seafood and I am always looking for delicious simple ways to get more into our diet. This dish seemed perfect for us. I love cheese and need some of the rich flavors to make me crave fish.
Verdict: The salty cheesy stuffing of this fish was delicious! I love just a hint of the Old Bay Seasoning to give the fish some flavor but the filling put it over the top. I don’t know if I would call this Mediterranean other than the feta, spinach, and olive oil but that is the recipe that was passed on to me. I paired this with a green side salad and a side of rice for dinner.
Mediterranean Stuffed Cod
- 6 fish fillets such as Cod, Alaskan White Fish, or Haddock
- ½ teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning or to taste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
For the Stuffing
- 3 oz. cream cheese, softened at room temperature
- ½ cup mozzarella cheese
- ½ cup feta cheese
- 3 oz. baby spinach, roughly chopped fresh not frozen
- Place the cream cheese, mozzarella, feta, and chopped baby spinach into a mixing bowl. Massage the spinach and the cheeses with until well combined. Set aside.
- Sprinkle Old Bay Seasoning onto each fillet.
- If your fillets are thick enough cut them horizontally into two pieces each and fill with 1/6th of the filling. If they are not thick enough to cut, shape the portion of the stuffing into an egg shape and place it close to the tail of the fish. Then starting from the tail, roll each fillet up jelly-roll style and place it seam side down on the baking dish.
- Sprinkle some more Old Bay seasoning on top, and using a pastry brush, spread olive oil over the fillets.
- Bake at 350ºF for about 20 minutes, until the fish is cooked through. It may take more or less time depending on the thickness of your fish.