The other week I took a shot at making Simple Crab Rangoons (click for link to recipe) because I love crab rangoons from the local Chinese restaurant and I thought I could easily make these. They were good but I also wondered what would happen if I made this into a dip for our football party? Go Bills!
Verdict: I added more flavor and spice to the dip because the small purses didn’t need tons of flavor whereas I wanted more flavor for the dip. This was a hit. The hardest part was cutting the wonton wrappers for the chips. Super simple and everyone loved it. Great addition for the football games over the next few weeks!
Crab Rangoon Dip
- 8 ounces softened cream cheese
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon Soy sauce
- 1 to 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 12 ounces crab meat, chopped (real or imitation – your choice)
- 3 green onions, diced (green part only)
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- 1 cup Monterey Jack cheese, finely shredded and divided (or your favorite cheese)
- drizzle of your favorite Chinese chili sauce for topping
- 1 (16 oz) package of wonton wrappers for chips if desired cut diagonally into triangles
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Beat together the softened cream cheese, sour cream, and mayonnaise until smooth. Stir in the spices, sauces, and lemon juice. Stir in the crab meat, Parmesan cheese, green onions, and 1/2 cup of the cheese. Taste and adjust spices to your liking before baking.
- Transfer mixture to an oven-safe baking dish. Top with remaining Monterey Jack Cheese. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until dip is bubbly and turning brown on the edges. Place under broiler for 1-2 minutes to brown top as desired.
- To make the wonton chips, preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Generously spray a large baking sheet with Olive Oil cooking spray. Arrange the cut wonton wrappers on the baking sheet. Spray the tops of the wrappers with a thin layer of cooking spray and salt if desired. Bake for 5 to 6 minutes or until the wontons are crisp and begin to turn golden at the edges. Let them cool before serving.