A traditional St. Patrick’s Day staple in our house.
- 1 large corned beef brisket
- 1 12 oz can of dark beer such as Guinness
- 2 cup of chicken stock
- 1/4 cup of brown sugar
- 1 small head of cabbage
- 1 16 oz. bag of baby carrots
- Core and quarter the cabbage removing the outside damaged leaves.
- Place cabbage in the bottom of a 6 qt. crock pot. Then layer brisket over the top of the cabbage.
- Poor the beer, chicken stock and brown sugar over the meat and gently stir the liquid to mix. Add more sugar if you like it sweeter.
- Cover crock pot and cook on low for 5-6 hours.
- Add carrots at this point. If you add carrots earlier they will be mushy.
- Cook an additional 1-2 hours until carrots are done.
- Cut and serve!
I do not cook my potatoes with everything else as some cooks do but rather just bake as that is what my family prefers.