So the chicken I have been planning on using in fried chicken is still frozen after 3 days. Time for a new refrigerator. But, in the meantime I still have to feed my family.
I decided to put together what I had on hand into a casserole and hope for the best.
- 1 1/2 lbs. of frozen chicken breasts cut into 1 1/2″ chunks
- 1 lb. red potatoes quartered
- 1 seasoning package of Hidden Valley Ranch Seasoning
- 1/2 stick of melted butter
- 1/2 cup of milk
- 2 tsp. black pepper
- 1 medium onion – large chop
- 1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup of Parmesan grated cheese
- 2 cups of veggies (your choice)
- Pre heat oven to 350.
- Place melted butter in the bottom of 9×13 baking pan. Drizzle so the butter covers the entire bottom of the pan.
- Place the potatoes in a single layer in the baking pan.
- Place the chicken over the top of the potatoes in the pan.
- Sprinkle the entire seasoning packet over the chicken and potatoes.
- If you are using veggies put them over the top of the seasoning mix. We did not use any veggies in our experiment but decided next time to use broccoli.
- Pour milk over the chicken, potatoes and/or veggies.
- Add onion and sprinkle with pepper.
- Cover the casserole with the cheddar cheese and then the Parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until potatoes and chicken are completely cooked. Let rest 5 minutes before serving.
This was an over the wall home run hit for the family. They LOVED it! Ate every bite of it and were looking for more. We did decide next time to add veggies to the casserole and not just serve beans on the side like I did this time.
I need to remember sometimes experiments can work and don’t always fail.