When I saw this Braised Red Cabbage recipe in Martha Stewart’s Living magazine I knew I had to try it. There was a little German deli near where we used to live that would open for lunch 3 days a week from 11 am to 2 pm. If you were not there by 11:10 am you would most likely be stuck standing for quite a while while waiting for a spot to open at one of the long family tables set up in front of the meat counter.
My favorite dish was the red cabbage. When I saw this recipe it had all the flavors I was looking for.
- 4 ounces bacon (about 6 slices), cut crosswise into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 head red cabbage (2 1/4 pounds), halved, cored, and cut lengthwise into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons dark-brown sugar
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- Cook bacon in a large pot over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until fat renders and bacon is crisp, about 8 minutes. Add onion, and cook, stirring occasionally, until translucent, about 3 minutes. Add cabbage, vinegar, wine, water, sugar, and 1 1/2 teaspoons salt; stir to combine. Raise heat to medium-high, cover, and cook 5 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, and continue to cook, covered, stirring occasionally, 50 minutes. Season with pepper. Taste and adjust spices as necessary adding more vinegar if you like.This recipe was amazing! My daughter ate two bowls of it. I couldn’t stop either. I wish I could bottle the sweet and savory smell that filled my kitchen. This will be on the menu again soon.