When I saw this recipe on Pinterest for Crockpot Grinders from BigRedKitchen.com I was just waiting for a day that I could try it. It looked simple enough and my family loves a good sandwich. The best part was that it could be modified so that each person got exactly what they wanted in their sandwich.
This recipe looks easy but it came with a HUGE learning curve, for me. First cutting the loaf into 6 sandwiches didn’t exactly work out as you can see by the center of my sour dough loaf. My slices were too big in the center and too small on the ends so I ended up with 4 regular size sandwiches and one giant sandwich. I will cut from both ends next time meeting in the middle for the last cuts.
The placing of the meat, cheese, onions, peppers and spices in the sandwich took some practice. The original recipe showed the cheese on the bottom followed by the meat, onions, peppers and spices sprinkled over the top. When I cooked the sandwich with the cheese on the bottom the cheese ran out of the sandwich and stuck to the aluminum foil. It burnt the sandwich to the foil in those spots and though they were crunchy and kind of tasty the peeling of the aluminum foil took forever. Place the meat on the bottom then the cheese in the center. Don’t put quite so much near the edges of the sandwich.
Cooking time. 2-4 hours was too high for mine. I have learned my slow cooker tends to run warmer than most, even on low. By 4 hours my sandwich was well done. Next time I will program it for 2 to 2 1/2 hours.
But, this was still a great sandwich and my entire family loved that I put the things they liked most in their sandwiches.
- One round loaf of sourdough, Parmesan Garlic or your favorite Artisan Bread
- 18 slices of your favorite cheese
- 36 slices of your favorite deli meats (we used 18 salami and 18 ham)
- 18 slices of a third deli meat if desired
- sweet pepper rings
- one onion, sliced thinly
- oregano, basil and garlic powder
- Slice your loaf of bread into 13 pieces. Do not slice the loaf all the way through but leave the bottom crust in tact to hold the entire loaf together.
- Layer your meat on the bottom of the sandwich, followed by the cheese, then onions and peppers. Sprinkle seasonings over the sandwiches as desired.
- Once all the sandwiches are made wrap the entire loaf in 2 pieces of aluminum foil so that it opens on top by is completely covered. I found making a cross and putting the loaf in the center of it was the best way to do this.
- Place 4 large tin foil balls in the bottom of your large oval slow cooker.
- Gently set sandwich in the center of the slow cooker. Pour 1/2 cup of water slowly down the inside of the slow cooker (as to not get the sandwich wet, but let it steam).
- Cook on low for 2-3 hours (check for desired temperature) after 2 hours.
- Remove from Slow Cooker carefully! It will be HOT! unwrap and let sit for 5 minutes before serving.