When I make fish for dinner it is usually Tilapia because it tends to be a milder fish and it is often on sale at our local grocery store. I can usually get a pound for less than $3.00. I usually have 2-3 lbs. in my freezer at any given time. It is my goal to serve fish at least once a week but I have been failing at that recently.
Hoping to get my children to like fish a bit more I am trying to mix up my preparation of it. My son really wanted Fish and Chips but I hate frying fish. So I compromised and made Crunchy Baked Tilapia instead. This is a quick easy dish and dinner was on the table within 30 minutes.
My son ate an entire 1/3 of a pound of fish. He liked the crunchy texture created by the crackers and the mayonnaise base kept the fish extremely moist.
Both kids said they would eat this again but preferred the flavor of the Doritos Fish better as it had more spice to it. So, next time I will add a bit of cayenne and garlic powder to the crackers to add more flavor.
I served this with french fries (for my son’s chips), vegetable medley and green salad.
- 1 – 1 1/2 lb. of Tilapia
- 1 sleeve of butter crackers, crushed
- 1 cup of mayonnaise
- Pre heat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray 2 metal cooling racks with non-stick spray and place them on a rimmed baking sheet.
- Place the one cup of mayonnaise in a shallow bowl or plate. Place the crushed butter crackers on a second plate.
- Roll each piece of fish in mayonnaise. Once completely coated with mayonnaise roll in the crushed crackers. Once coated completely place on the racks or your baking pan.
- Repeat step 3 will all pieces of fish.
- Bake fish for 15-20 minutes, more if frozen, until center is completely cooked through.
- Remove fish from oven and let sit 2-3 minutes before serving.