Things lately have been crazy in our house and I LOVE when I can find meals that look great and seem fairly easy to make. When I saw this recipe on Pinterest it looked delicious and seemed far to easy. Meatballs, sauce, cheese and bread. Okay but will they eat it?
I made a few minor changes to the Meatball Sandwich Casserole from Nowyoucanpinit.blogspot.com.
It really was easy and tasted great. My family loved how it looked. They thought it was a fancy dinner but it was really simple. I would do this again when my children have friends over for dinner.
I changed the way the garlic bread was made from the original recipe. I found that the bread became mushy and disintegrated because it soaked up any extra sauce in the bottom of the casserole dish. By preparing the bread separately and then adding to the dish in the end it stayed whole and not soggy.
I am also considering making this in little individual ramekins next time so each person gets their own little casserole with garlic bread. I think it would be great to do it that way for company.
I served this with a green salad and Italian dressing for dinner.
- 1 jar of spaghetti sauce
- 1 small bag of small pre made frozen meatballs
- 1 tsp. garlic
- 2 tsp. oregano
- 1/2 tsp. onion powder
- 1 1/2 cups of mozzarella cheese
- 10-12 slices of good Italian Bread
- butter, for garlic bread
- garlic powder
- Parmesan cheese for serving
- Pre heat oven to 350. Spray an 8×8 pan with non-stick spray.
- Place meatballs, spaghetti sauce, garlic, oregano and onion powder in a large pan over medium heat. Cook until meatballs are heated through.
- While meatballs are heating spread each slice of bread with a little bit of butter on both sides then place on a cookie sheet. Once all slices are buttered lightly sprinkle each slice with powdered garlic.
- When meatballs are heated through place them in the prepared pan and sprinkle top with mozzarella cheese. Bake in oven until cheese melts and starts to brown.
- While meat balls are cooking place cookie sheet of garlic bread on lower rack and cook until it starts to brown. Remove from oven when browned. Make sure to watch your bread because it can turn from browned to burnt rather quickly.
- When meatballs and garlic bread are removed from oven place slices of garlic bread around the edge of the casserole dish to decorate. Serve with Parmesan cheese sprinkled over the top.