I am working on cleaning out our freezers for the big Thanksgiving/Christmas baking season. I have pretty much cleaned out the refrigerator of all the stray items but still need to work on the freezer.
I had four fairly large thick pork chops that I found in my freezer that needed to be used. I asked my kids how they wanted them for dinner. Both said like Beef and Broccoli only with pork. Okay?
Then I thought about it. Simple. Use my slow cooker! Made me very happy.
This was easy and delicious. We have been eating quite a few dishes with an Asian profile lately but this was different. The sauce was not overly strong and the pork was very mild.
There was enough for one extra serving for lunch the next day. Other than that the plates were licked clean.
- 1 lb. pork chops or steaks
- 1 1/2 TBSP soy sauce
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 TBSP sugar
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 cup of water (for cooking)
- 2 TBSP Cornstarch
- 1/2 cup cold water (for thickening)
- 4 TBSP oyster sauce
- 2 large bunches of broccoli, florets trimmed
- rice, cooked according to directions
- Place chops in bottom of slow cooker.
- Mix next 5 ingredients together in a bowl. Pour over pork chops. Cook on Low for 5-6 hours until pork falls apart.
- About 30 minutes before serving stir together cornstarch and cold water until smooth. Add to slow cooker and stir until smooth turn slow cooker to high.
- About 20 minutes before serving cook the rice and steam the broccoli florets.
- Add oyster sauce to slow cooker and taste for balance. Add more soy sauce, garlic, etc… if needed.