Life happens to all of us. It takes our best plans and turns them inside out and upside down. How do I keep us from eating out when days like this happen? By planning ahead. Really.
I keep a stock of pre-made pizza crusts in the cupboard or the freezer, I have 2-3 packages of hot dogs on hand, at least 2 packages of ground beef and bags of frozen vegetables just for times like these. It still allows me to be creative, if I can, or just throw something together.
Tonight was one of those nights. I was thankful for the pre-made pizza crusts. I turned a jar of spaghetti sauce into pizza sauce and what I thought was ground beef was actually ground Italian sausage. It works.
The kids were pleased with this pizza. They loved the added bacon flavor and can’t wait to try this new addition in different pizzas. My favorite part was the caramelized onions. I LOVE them! I will add them to just about everything.
I served this with a green salad.
- 2 pre-made store-bought pizza crusts
- 1 jar of pizza or spaghetti sauce (add extra oregano and powdered garlic to spaghetti sauce for a more pizza sauce flavor)
- 1 (16 oz) package of sliced pepperoni
- 1 (5 oz) bag of pre-cooked, diced bacon
- 1 lb Italian Sausage, casing removed
- 1 lb. shredded mozzarella
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 TBSP butter
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- Pre- heat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a small skillet over medium-low heat melt the butter. Add the onion and turn it down just a bit. Let the onion cook for 15 -20 minutes until it turns brown. Stir occasionally. Do not try to rush this step. The longer and slower it cooks the sweeter the onions will taste. Be careful you want them brown but not burnt.
- In another skillet begin cooking the sausage over medium heat. Use the side of the spoon to break it up into small pieces as it cooks. Drain the fat from the pan when the sausage is completely cooked through.
- While onions are cooking spread pizza sauce over the pre-made crusts.
- Divide the bacon and pepperoni in half and add half to each pizza. Sprinkling evenly over the top of both pizzas.
- Once the sausage is cooked sprinkle 1/2 of the sausage over each pizza.
- Once the onions are cooked add 1/2 of the onions to each pizza.
- Sprinkle the mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses over both pizzas.
- Bake 10-12 minutes until bottom of pizza is turning golden and top is starting to lightly brown.
- Remove from oven and allow to sit 3-5 minutes before cutting.