My kids really wanted to go out to eat. Being just over a week to Christmas Day the budget cried, “No.” So, we started to brainstorm about what we could make that would make them feel like they were going out. They wanted nachos, soda and dessert.
I started Googling restaurant style nachos. Every single site had a different opinion. Use store-bought chips. Make your own chips from tortillas don’t use store-bought chips. Use processed cheese spread to get the real nacho taste. Only use real cheese. Add meat. Don’t add meat. UGH!
So we made our own version and the kids helped.
They were not “restaurant” nachos but they were pretty good. I had control over what went into them and the kids were happy with their dinner.
I served the nachos with a side of mixed vegetables and Christmas cookies for dessert.
- 1 bag Tostitos or your favorite tortilla chips
- 1 1/2 lbs. ground beef
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 TBSP chili powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 – 1 tsp red pepper flakes (may omit if desired)
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 cups of grated cheese, shredded
- sour cream, taco sauce, salsa, olives, lettuce, chopped tomatoes and diced onions for toppings as desired
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line the bottom of a rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil and spray foil with non-stick spray.
- Spread bag of tortilla chips over the aluminum foil.
- In a skillet over medium heat cook the ground beef and onion. As the beef is cooking break it up into small pieces with the back of a spoon. Once beef is completely cooked through drain off any excess grease.
- Add chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, cumin, pepper, salt, red pepper flakes (if desired) and water to the meat mixture. Return pan to heat and cook until water has evaporated. Taste meat and adjust spices as necessary for your family.
- Spread meat mixture evenly over the top of the tortilla chips. Sprinkle cheese across all the chips.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes until cheese is melted and chips are turning light brown on the edges.
- Remove from oven and serve with toppings as desired.