For Christmas Eve and Christmas Day we eat mostly appetizers and the day after on the 26th we eat all the leftovers. This is one of the leftovers.
We always have a discussion when we serve these. Most people have usually had them somewhere before but other different names – Mini Greek Pizzas, Onassis pizzas, etc….
We love this appetizer. I love that it is SUPER easy to make and it is slightly different from you usually serve for appetizers. You make the cheese mix an hour or two prior to when you plan to serve the appetizer and then spread it on the mini rye bread pieces just before baking.
- 1 loaf mini rye bread squares (usually found in or near the deli section)
- 1 onion, diced finely
- 1 1/2 cup of mayonnaise
- 1 cup parmesan cheese, green can
- splash of Worcestershire Sauce, if desired
- At least 1-2 hours prior to when you wish to bake the appetizer mix diced onion, mayonnaise and parmesan cheese in a bowl until completely blended. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 1 hour.
- When ready to bake pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Line an edged backing sheet with parchment paper.
- Stir the cheese mixture well and then spread approximately 1 tsp on a piece of rye bread. Place the bread on the parchment paper. Repeat until your cookie sheet is full of rye bread slices.
- Bake for 12-18 minutes. Turn pan about 1/2 way through baking time. Toasts are done when tops just turn light brown. Serve while hot.