We needed something really quick and easy for dinner tonight that would travel fairly well for our “To-Go” meals. I still have lots of ground beef to use and had left over cheese sauce from last night’s dinner that I really wanted to use in something. I hate throwing food away and am always looking for ways to use my leftovers in new ways. This was perfect.
Both kids gobbled it up and were asking to have this again. The sharp provolone cheese sauce added a bit of bite but was balanced by the spiciness of the Medium Taco Sauce. Both kids loved that it had tons of flavor and was better tasting than the ones at the big chain place down the road. I loved that I know exactly what is in everything I put into this dish.
A side salad made this a complete meal for our divided dishes “To-Go.”
- 1 1/2 lb. ground beef
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 2 tsp powdered garlic
- 2 tsp powdered onion
- 1 TBSP cayenne pepper or to taste
- 1 TBSP chili powder or to taste
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 can corn, drained
- 12 flour or corn tortillas, I used flour for us, GF corn for my son
- 1/2 cup sharp provolone cheese, shredded
- 1 TBSP flour
- 1 TBSP butter
- 1/2 cup ff half and half
- 1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2/3 cup medium salsa
- 1/2 cup taco sauce
- sour cream, extra taco sauce, extra salsa for toppings
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees. Place aluminum foil in the bottom of an edged baking sheet and spray with non-stick spray.
- Brown ground beef and onions in a large skillet over medium heat. Break ground beef into small pieces as it is cooking with the back of a spoon. Once meat is fully cooked, drain grease from pan and return skillet to stove top.
- To the ground beef and onion mixture add oregano, garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne, chili powder, salsa corn and water to pan. Mix thoroughly and cook over medium heat until just about all the liquid has been evaporated about 6-9 minutes. Taste mixture and adjust spices to your taste.
- While the ground beef is cooking melt the butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Once it is melted sprinkle the flour over the top of the butter and stir until well mixed. Stir continuously for about 1 minute. Add the half and half slowly and whisk to smooth. Allow the milk to thicken while continuously whisking about 5 minutes. Do not boil milk! If it starts to overheat turn down the heat immediately and remove the pan for a bit.
- Once flour, butter milk mixture has thickened a bit remove from heat and stir in provolone cheese. Stir to smooth.
- Place on tortilla on the baking sheet. Spread about a tablespoon of the cheese mixture over the top of the tortilla. Top with some meat mixture. Then add another tortilla and repeat cheese then meat. Complete layered “pizzas” with a tortilla on top. Drizzle with taco sauce and sprinkle with cheddar cheese.
- Repeat this process 4 times until all your meat, cheese and tortillas are gone.
- Bake in oven for 15-20 minutes until edges are crispy and cheese has melted.
- Allow to sit for 2-3 minutes before serving.