I love, love, love, love my slow cooker. I love that I can put the ingredients in the crock in the morning and by dinner time I have this delicious dish. Everyone came in the house this evening and commented on how wonderful dinner smelled.
If you are not using your slow cooker at least 2-4 times a week you are really missing out on being able to get a good meal on the table with minimal work and preparation. This meal took about 5 minutes to prepare before putting it in the slow cooker, all of that was in cutting the chicken into chunks. Then once it was cooking 1 hour before I served it I added the bag of frozen vegetables and once it was done I had to spend about 5 minutes making the cornstarch slurry and thickening the gravy. Very easy meal.
My family loved this meal. I used whole wheat bread to serve the chicken over but my kids wanted white bread. I gave in. They thought it was the best thing they had tasted in a while. There was only a little bit leftover for one lunch serving the next day.
I served this with broccoli and a green salad to round out the meal.
- 1 1/2 – 2 lbs chicken, cut into 1″ cubes – I cut mine while it was still slightly frozen to make it easier to cut
- 3 cups chicken stock, divided
- 2 TBSP Morton’s Season Salt
- 1 (16 oz.) bag frozen mixed vegetables
- 3 TBSP cornstarch
- salt and pepper to taste
- Bread for serving
- Spray the inside of slow cooker with non-stick spray.
- Add the cubed chicken to the slow cooker. Pour 2 1/2 cups of the chicken stock over the chicken. Sprinkle the Morton’s Season Salt over the chicken.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- One hour prior to serving add the frozen vegetables and stir the mixture.
- Ten minutes prior to serving taste the gravy and add salt, pepper or season salt as desired. Then mix the cornstarch with the remaining 1/2 cup of chicken stock in a small bowl until fully dissolved.
- Pour the cornstarch mix into the slow cooker. Turn the slow cooker up to high and let cook for 10-15 more minutes until thickened. If mixture is not thick enough repeat step 5.
- Serve hot over bread.