Back to my slow cooker! I love this thing. It’s that busy time of year and with a teacher conference, a dentist appointment, volunteering at the school book fair and working so dinner needed to be quick and easy.
I found this recipe for Cheesy Chicken & Rice from kmhoho.wordpress.com and as I read it I thought my family would love this. Of course as with most of my recipes I had to make a few tweaks for my family. I don’t do cream of anything soups so I needed to make a thickener, which is SUPER SIMPLE. Read the ingredients on the cream soup can and then see how it takes 3-5 minutes to make a thickener from items you have at home. You will never go back to cream of something soups again. Even pressed for time I find the time to make this substitution.
Simple, tasty and kid friendly. My family was happy. Both children took the leftovers in their lunches the next day.
My children are not big fans of onions but I have learned if I dice them fairly small they don’t usually notice them. In most dishes they tend to cook down and lose their flavor so if they aren’t overly strong in a dish my kids will eat it. Also, with a dish like this they can’t tell the difference between the rice and the onions so they don’t even notice they are in there.
I served the meal with baby green peas and a green salad.
Substitute for Cream Soup:
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup low-fat or fat-free milk
- salt and pepper to taste
- Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium-low heat.
- Stir in flour and keep stirring until smooth and bubbly.
- Remove the pan from heat and add the chicken broth and milk, a little at a time, whisking to keep smooth.
- Return to heat. Bring sauce to a gentle boil; cook, stirring constantly, until it thickens.
- Taste and add salt and pepper, as needed to taste.
Chicken & Rice:
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 16 oz frozen corn, thawed in refrigerator
- 4 chicken breasts
- 1 mixture of the Cream of Soup substitute, above
- 4 cups of cooked rice, I used brown rice
- 2 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- parsley, for garnish is desired
- Spray the inside of the slow cooker insert with non-stick spray.
- Add chicken, soup, onion, red pepper and corn to the slow cooker and cook on low for 5-6 hours.
- At this point you can either remove your chicken and shred it with two forks or you can cut it up into chunks. Return the chicken to the slow cooker after shredding or cutting into chunks.
- Add cheese and prepared rice to the slow cooker. Stir all together well. Cook on low for about 20 -30 minutes before serving.
- Sprinkle with parsley before serving if desired.