My mother-in-laws has been in hospice for the past few weeks. Last night we received word that we are down to weeks and days and are no longer thinking in terms of months. It is amazing to me that in times of stress and grief how our minds turn to food.
My partner immediately picked up a bowl and spoon and started making chocolate chip cookies. It is the rituals of feeding our families, feeding their soul and nourishing them through the stirring of the batter, the breaking of the eggs and the history of the recipes that some how makes us feel like we can go on. We ate hot cookies with ice-cold milk last night. We let the cookies melt in our mouths and washed them down with the milk.
This dinner is not something either one of our mother’s would ever have served to us. My son was looking through an Every Day with Rachael Ray magazine and saw an ad for Spam. He wanted to know what it was and asked if we could try it. Of course I said yes. I think I have eaten Spam maybe 5 times in my entire life. The ad had a picture of Fried Rice with Spam so of course that is what we tried.
The best way I can describe Spam is a very salty hot dog-like textured meat. I tried to limit the amount of soy sauce in the fried rice mix as to not be too salty. Definitely use low sodium soy sauce in the recipe.
The family ate it all so I guess it went over well. Both kids thought the texture was a bit strange but they both liked it overall.
- 6 cups rice, pre-cooked and allowed to sit over night or for at least 2 hours to dry a bit
- 2 cans of Spam, diced into 1/4″ cubes
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 (16 oz) bag of frozen mixed vegetables, thawed
- 2/3 cup Tsang’s Stir Fry Sauce
- 3 TBSP soy sauce, low-sodium
- 2 TBSP sesame oil
- 1 tsp powdered ginger
- 2 eggs
- Heat the sesame oil in a large wok or skillet over medium high heat.
- Once the oil is hot add the Spam, onion and vegetables. Stir constantly to warm.
- Add rice, stir fry sauce, soy sauce and ginger to pan. Stir constantly until warmed through.
- Create a well in the center of the pan and add the three eggs. Stir to scramble eggs through the rice. Once cooked taste and adjust spices as needed.
- Remove pan from heat and serve.