We are still in full comfort food mode so for dinner last night I started with a recipe for Slow Cooker Chicken Stroganoff from Allrecipes.com.
I knew I would have to a bit of changing to the recipe for my family. The first change I made was substituting chicken stock for butter. I didn’t want the end product to be too greasy. Then as usual I made a substitute for the canned cream of chicken soup. I try to almost never used canned ingredients when possible and there is an easy fix for cream of anything soups.
This was a delicious warm hug of a meal. The chicken was flavorful and the sauce was extra creamy. Served over pasta with a side of baby peas my family ate it up. There was just enough left for one serving for lunch the next day.
- 2 lbs chicken breasts
- 1 packet dry Italian style salad dressing mixture
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 (8 oz) package cream cheese
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp black pepper
- parsley for garnish, if desired
Substitute for Cream Soup:
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup low-fat or fat-free milk
- salt and pepper to taste
- Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium-low heat.
- Stir in flour and keep stirring until smooth and bubbly.
- Remove the pan from heat and add the chicken broth and milk, a little at a time, whisking to keep smooth.
- Return to heat. Bring sauce to a gentle boil; cook, stirring constantly, until it thickens.
- Taste and add salt and pepper, as needed to taste.
- Spray bowl of slow cooker with non-stick spray.
- Place chicken breasts in bottom of slow cooker. Pour dry salad dressing mix and chicken broth over chicken. Cook on low 6-8 hours.
- About one-half hour before serving shred chicken in the bowl of the slow cooker with 2 forks. Add cream cheese and prepare substitute for cream soup. Add completed cream soup substitute to slow cooker. Stir well.
- After 15 minutes stir again adding salt and pepper as needed for flavor. Once sauce has thickened and cream cheese has melted, about another 15 minutes, serve sauce over pasta. Garnish with parsley, if desired.