My children love the fruit in the Easter Basket. Each year they look forward to seeing what they will get. We have done kiwis disguised as Easter eggs and this year the Easter Cantaloupe and Easter Watermelon. We love having fun with their baskets.
I LOVE Easter. To me, this is the perfect holiday. It is not all about gifts or food but rather enjoying time with family, friends and celebrating life and love. Yes, I make the special dinner but I try to focus on ease of preparation so that I can spend time with my family.
Today we spent most of the day at the beach. It was a perfect 72 degree day and though the water of Lake Michigan is still frosty at least we can enjoy the sand and the sun. I even have a red-nose like Rudolph because I forgot to put sunblock on. Who thinks of sunblock in April?
But, while we were playing my ham was cooking. I finally tried the Slow Cooker Ham. I have seen this around the internet forever but finally decided this was the year I was going to give it a try.
Add simple Balsamic Roasted Carrots, mashed potatoes and gravy and the meal was on the table within 45 minutes of returning from the beach.
I loved, loved, loved that I could cook the ham and not have to be near by when cooking it. The ham was moist, flavorful and so simple to make. The kids were happy with the flavors and even ate the little pineapple tidbits.
The carrots were also extremely easy to make and cook. Both kids loved the flavor of the sweet roasted carrots with the tartness of the vinegar.
Overall, a highly successful dinner!
Slow Cooker Ham:
- 6-8 lb. ham
- 1 1/4 cups brown sugar, divided
- 1 can pineapple tidbits with juice
- Spray bowl of large slow cooker with non-stick spray.
- Spread 1 cup of brown sugar in the bottom of the bowl.
- Place ham in slow cooker, large flat, cut side down. If ham doesn’t fit well cut off end and put the extra down the side.
- Pour can of pineapple tidbits with juice over the ham.
- Sprinkle remaining 1/4 cup of brown sugar over the top of the ham.
- Cover and cook on low 6-8 hours.
Balsamic Roasted Carrots:
- 1 lb. baby carrots
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar, good quality
- fresh ground salt and pepper
Directions Balsamic Roasted Carrots:
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place carrots on a rimmed baking sheet.
- Drizzle olive oil and balsamic vinegar over the top of the carrots.
- Add freshly ground salt and pepper to the top of the carrots.
- Stir well.
- Place carrots in oven for 30-45 minutes until desired texture is achieved. Stir several times during cooking process.
- Remove carrots from oven. Add extra balsamic vinegar drizzle if desired. Serve warm.