Last night I needed a meal that would be ready after my son’s musical program at school. I knew we would not have enough time for a real meal beforehand so I wanted it to be ready at 6:30 pm. I just wanted to add a salad and be ready to sit at the table within 15-20 minutes of getting home. Both kids still had homework and chores to finish so this needed to be a quick easy meal.
I found this recipe for Sweet and Tangy Crockpot Pork Chops from Recipes 4 Your Kitchen.blogspot.com on Pinterest. It sounded easy and I even found a package of Lipton Beefy Onion Soup Mix in the back of my pantry! It is kismet.
I wanted to make this a whole meal so I added sweet potatoes and carrots to the slow cooker with the pork chops. I wasn’t too sure how this was going to taste but I had to give it a try.
It was yummy! I had exactly 4 pork chops, two extra-large sweet potatoes and a pound of baby carrots and everything was gone at the end of the meal including a large bowl of green salad. I wasn’t sure how the sweet potatoes would taste with the “barbecue sauce” but it was thick enough that it mostly stayed on top of the pork and only the drippings from the pork chops settled in the bottom.
This was a great, easy meal that we will be repeating.
- 1- 1/2 lbs. boneless pork chops
- 2 extra-large sweet potatoes, cut into 6 pieces each
- 1 lb. baby carrots
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1 packet beefy onion soup mix (I used Lipton’s)
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp pepper
- 2/3 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- Spray the inside of the slow cooker bowl with non-stick spray.
- Place the sweet potatoes in the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Spread the carrots over the sweet potatoes.
- Lay the pork chops over the carrots. Try not to overlap the chops if possible.
- Mix ketchup, soup mix, garlic, pepper, soy sauce and brown sugar in a medium bowl until well blended.
- Spread the ketchup mixture over the pork chops.
- Cook on low for 5-6 hours until vegetables are tender and pork is cooked through.