After a doctor appointment we needed to decide if my daughter was going to dance class last night. She had just been seen by our pediatrician who diagnosed her with problems in her Flexor from overuse. The pediatrician recommended physical therapy and to cut back a bit on dance class. The doctor told her that she knew this was going to be difficult as we are coming into 6 weeks of performing and competing but it would be best for her. But, as my daughter told her this is the one thing she really enjoys so …. We went to dance class.
In the 30 minutes between picking my son up from school and leaving for dance class I put this casserole together so that I could just pop it in the oven later. I covered it and left it in the refrigerator while we were gone.
We are in the high 30s again for temperatures. Is it really Spring? So, I decided to try a variation on Cowboy Casserole would be warming to our bodies and our hearts.
When we got home I put this in the oven for 40 minutes. It was good. The kids thought it was great. I loved that I could just put it in the oven when we got home and add a green vegetable and salad and dinner was done.
- 1 1/2 lb ground beef
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 package tater tots
- 1 (16 oz) bottle barbecue sauce
- 1 TBSP Worcestershire sauce
- 1 TBSP prepared mustard
- 8 oz sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 (16 oz) can corn, drained
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 13 x 9 casserole dish with non-stick spray.
- In a skillet over medium heat brown the ground beef breaking it up with the back of the spoon as it cooks.
- Once ground beef has just about cooked through add onion to pan. Cook until beef is browned through and onion turns translucent.
- Drain grease from pan.
- Layer 1/2 the bag of Tater Tots in the bottom of the prepared casserole dish.
- Add barbecue sauce, Worcestershire sauce and mustard to ground beef mix. Stir until well combined.
- Pour meat mixture over Tater Tots and spread out evenly.
- Pour can of corn over meat and spread out evenly over the meat.
- Sprinkle the remaining Tater Tots over the corn.
- Sprinkle cheese over entire casserole.
- Bake in oven 40 minutes or until heated through.
- Let rest 5 minutes before serving.