This is not a great picture of this dish. Our local grocery store had whole pineapples on sale for $1.49 this week. I have bought 2 so far but am going back today for 2 more. They are so sweet the kids were begging for fresh pineapple last night. We are still in a No Buy June except for perishables and in cleaning out the freezer the other day I found a ham I froze at Easter when ham was about $1.00 a pound.
So grilled ham and pineapple became dinner.
You can alternate the ham and pineapple on one skewer to make it look better but I kept mine separate as they cook at different speeds and I didn’t want burnt pineapple and raw ham. Everyone loved this meal. I made a brown sugar glaze for the ham and left the pineapple plain as it had enough juice to caramelize on its own.
I served this with a green salad and yellow squash thinly cut with onions. Grilled with just a bit of olive oil and salt and pepper the squash was delicious. The best thing for my family? No potatoes, rice, pasta or bread in sight.
- 1 1/2 – 2 lbs fully cooked ham cut into chunks and placed on skewers
- 1 large pineapple, fresh, peeled, cored and cut into chunks – placed on skewers
- 1/2 cup of dark brown sugar
- 2 TBSP yellow mustard
- Soak the skewers before placing your food on them for 10-15 minutes in a pan of water to avoid burning.
- Mix the brown sugar and yellow mustard in a bowl until smooth. If mixture is too thick add a bit of yellow mustard to thin it out.
- Place ham and pineapple on grill over medium heat. Brush meat with sauce.
- Cook until meat warmed though, time will vary with the size of your ham pieces – brushing the meat with sauce each time you turn it and pineapple has nice brown grill marks.
- Remove from heat and serve.
One Comment Add yours
That looks so yummy!! 🙂