So, I didn’t post yesterday. After a horrible round of a Summer stomach bug I am finally back to feeling human again. I really did not even get out of bed until 4:00 pm yesterday except to get sick and take my son to see his new cello teacher. Even then, I came back home and immediately went to bed. I never do that but I hoped today would be a better day and so far it is.
I love having bits and pieces of leftovers in my freezer to make into new dishes. This started as Slow Cooker Pork Carnitas over Mashed Sweet Potatoes two weeks ago. I froze the remainder and defrosted it in the refrigerator yesterday along with a piece of spiral ham that I had been saving. It was perfect timing. This allowed me to get dinner on the table in 30 minutes with a minimum of fuss.
Everyone loved the sandwiches. The flavor of the pork from the Carnitas was delicious in a sandwich. It really took the sandwich to a whole new level. The fresh crusty French bread I found was perfect for the sandwich holding the butter really well so it crisped up on the outside yet stayed soft on the inside. Perfect!
I served this with a side of Sweet Potato Chips and a small green salad.
- 1 – 1 1/2 lbs. Cooked pork loin – well seasoned
- 1 lb. cooked ham
- 2 lb. Swiss cheese, sliced – 16 slices
- Dill Pickle Slices
- Stone Ground Mustard
- 16 slices good crusty bread
- Preheat your Panini Press or grill.
- Lay out 8 slices of bread and spread with Stone Ground mustard.
- Top with one slice of Swiss Cheese.
- Lay pickle slices on top of the cheese.
- Over the pickle slices lay a layer of pork loin then a layer of ham.
- Top the meat with another slice of Swiss cheese and more Stone Ground mustard, if desired.
- Top the sandwich with the second slice of bread.
- Spread the outside slice of bread with butter. Turn that side down onto your cooking surface.
- Spread the remaining side with butter and close the press. Cook until brown and crispy.
- Remove from grill and keep in a 170 degree oven until all sandwiches are cooked and ready to serve.