As we were discussing some of our favorite meals that I have made over the last few year everyone agreed that their favorites were the Asian, Middle Eastern or Mediterranean dishes. We all really like the savory flavors of the dishes.
If I open my cupboard right now I know I would find no less than five different vinegars. The last bit of Balsamic Vinegar I needed to use was the inspiration for this dish. I needed something quick and easy for dinner and a chicken dish that I knew my daughter would not turn her nose up at as she is getting a bit tired of chicken.
This was an easy, tasty dish with lots of flavor. Something that is really important to my family. The hardest part waiting for the chicken to finish cooking as the smells wafted through the house!
Everyone really liked this dish. Neither child cared for the roasted tomatoes, too squishy was their complaint. But over all they liked the flavor and the vegetables.
This dish would be great with different root vegetables or the addition of sweet potatoes or red potatoes to bulk it up. I served this over instant mashed potatoes, I was completely out of real potatoes or I would definitely have added them. But, I had instant that I use as a thickener from time to time and they worked just fine with a side salad.
- 2 lbs chicken breasts, pound slightly to thin them out to 1/2″ all over
- 1 cup+ Balsamic Vinegar, divided
- 2 TBSP Dried Oregano
- Salt and Pepper
- 1 cup Vegetable Stock
- Grape Tomatoes
- 2 Red, Orange or Yellow Peppers, large chop
- 1 large Red Onion, Cut into 8ths
- Other vegetables or beans that you may like
- Bocconici or Fresh mozzarella
- Place pounded down chicken breasts in a resealable bag. Add 1/2 cup of balsamic vinegar and seal bag. Place in refrigerator at least 2 hours or up to 8 hours to marinate.
- When ready to cook heat oven to 375 degrees.
- Place tomatoes, peppers and onion in bottom of 13 x 9 casserole dish.
- Pour vegetable stock over the vegetables.
- Remove chicken breasts from bag and discard the vinegar and bag. Lay the chicken over the top of the vegetables.
- Pour the rest of the balsamic vinegar, 1/2 cup+, over the chicken and vegetables.
- Sprinkle oregano, salt and pepper over entire dish.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes until chicken is cooked through and vegetables are fork tender.
- Remove dish from oven and add Bocconici to dish. Break it apart and place around top of vegetables. It will melt nicely.
- Allow to rest 5 minutes before serving.