I needed inspiration for dinner. Supplies are low this week so I needed to use things I had on hand in the refrigerator and pantry. I was browsing through Pinterest because that is what I do daily. I saw the title of a Pin that someone had posted and I knew right away I wanted to make this dish. I didn’t even bother opening the recipe because I knew it would be nothing like what I would make.
This had a mixed verdict from my family. Everyone loved the chicken. It was tender and juicy. The hummus and spices gave it a great flavor and the crushed cracker topping gave it a bit of a crunch.
The vegetables were the problem for my children. Not big fans of zucchini, summer squash and onions to begin with they were a very soft. When combined with the hummus that ran off to me it was almost like a really juicy stuffing from a turkey. It had a slightly mushy texture but it tasted great.
For my mostly gluten-free son I prepared his in a separate dish using crushed gluten-free table crackers instead of butter crackers and a bit more seasoning on top to make up for the loss of flavor from the crackers.
I served this with a side of broccoli and a green salad.
- 4 chicken breasts, boneless and skinless, slightly pounded down to 1/2″
- salt and pepper
- 1 zucchini, thinly sliced
- 1 yellow squash, thinly sliced
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 container of hummus, I used a pine nut flavored version
- 1 TBSP olive oil
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 sleeve butter crackers, finely crushed
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Spray a 13 x 9 baking dish with non-stick spray.
- Season the chicken breasts with salt and pepper.
- In a large bowl, toss the zucchini, squash and onion with olive oil until evenly coated. Season the vegetables with salt and pepper.
- Place all of the vegetables on the bottom of the dish in an even layer. Lay the four chicken breasts evenly on top, then cover each chicken breast with the hummus so that the entire breast is covered.
- Sprinkle the chicken with the finely crushed crackers patting down slightly so that they will stick.
- Next sprinkle the chicken with the paprika.
- Bake for about 25-30 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through, topping is golden brown and the vegetables are tender.