We are two weeks from back-to-school time. I can already feel the anxiety beginning to ramp up a bit around our house. I am trying to start them on the school schedule now so that it is not such a shock the first week of school. Things are going okay but I am trying to get the school center organized. We have a closet of school supplies ready so that if either child needs something for school they can just go to the closet and pick it up or if they need something for homework such as a protractor, colored pencils, markers they are right close by. I finally learned after too many choruses of the “I can’t do my homework” song.
For some people it is back to school time and they are looking to pull their slow cooker out from the back of the cupboard where it has been banished all summer. I never put mine away. I still try to use it at least once a week all summer long. Though the heat hasn’t been a big issue this summer sometimes time is. I still want to get dinner on the table quickly and don’t have a ton of time to fuss over a dish during the day.
I had planned on making Lemon Chicken for dinner but when I went to get the lemon out of the refrigerator I had none. I forgot that the lemon had gone bad and I had thrown it away. I had lime but could I find a recipe that would work? I knew when I saw this recipe for Spicy Garlic Lime Chicken on Allrecipes.com I could adapt it easily for my families tastes and the slow cooker.
There wasn’t a bite left. It was spicy but flavorful. The addition of the potatoes made it a wonderful meal just by adding a green vegetable and a salad. Both children said they would definitely eat this again.
- 1 1/2 – 2 lbs. chicken breasts, boneless and skinless
- 2 lbs red potatoes, cut in half or quartered depending on size
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon dried parsley
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 teaspoon of garlic powder, extra
- extra parsley for garnish if desired
- Spray the inside of the bowl of the slow cooker with non-stick spray.
- Rinse potatoes and place in the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Once butter has melted add chicken. Brown the chicken on both sides. Once chicken has browned, it does not need to be cooked, place the breasts over the potatoes in the bowl.
- Sprinkle salt, pepper, cayenne pepper, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, thyme and parsley over the chicken and potatoes. Add 1/4 cup of water to the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours until chicken and potatoes are both cooked.
- 30 minutes before serving pour lime juice and garlic over the chicken and potatoes.
- Serve with parsley if desired.