This is probably the most unhealthy dish I have made for my family in quite a while. But, sometimes that is okay. I don’t know if you can tell but there are carrots on the plate and I served it with a side salad to make myself feel it better.
I hate the Mommy Guilt over what I cook for my family. I know I put it out there into the universe each day what we eat but even I have the guilt that I am supposed to be packing organic, homemade, vegetables and tofu and nothing else into my family. I hate that we are all trying to do the best that we can and can still feel guilt about what we are doing. My goal is to set the guilt aside for the rest of the year. Lets see if this works.
But, setting the guilt aside, this would be a great dish to serve for a game day meal. It makes quite a bit and you could easily double it for a larger group. We had some extra bacon so my son asked if we could add it to the pot to make them bacon cheeseburgers. Sure! I love bacon!
This received a mixed reaction from my family. My daughter thought it was far too salty (I didn’t add any extra salt other than what was in the bacon and Velveeta Cheese). My son thought it was perfect and added Sweet Baby Ray’s Barbecue Sauce to his sandwich. I was torn. It was cheesy but a bit too salty for my tastes. If you are afraid of the saltiness leave out the bacon.
For my mostly gluten-free son I served his on his Udi’s hamburger rolls.
The best part of this is that it can be put into the slow cooker and everyone can snack or graze on it as they like. Perfect for a game day dish. We had enough meat for 4 large dinner sized servings plus 2 lunch servings for the next day.
- 1 1/2 lbs. lean ground beef
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 12 oz. Velveeta Sharp Cheddar Cheese, cubed
- 4 TBSP fat-free 1/2 and 1/2
- 2 tsp minced garlic, divided
- ground black pepper, to taste
- 6 slices of bacon, cooked crispy and crumbled
- rolls and toppings for serving
- Cook ground beef, 1 tsp garlic and onions in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Break the ground beef into small pieces as it cooks.
- Once ground beef is cooked through drain off all grease from the pan.
- Add ground beef to the bowl of a slow cooker that has been well sprayed with non-stick spray.
- Place the cheese, 1/2 and 1/2, garlic, black pepper and bacon on top of the meat and stir well.
- Cook on low 3-4 hours until cheese has melted and all ingredients have warmed through.
- Serve on rolls with toppings such as ketchup, mustard, barbecue sauce, lettuce and onions.