I needed a quick dish for dinner last night. I didn’t even start cooking until 6:00 pm. I had one pound of Italian sausage thawed in the refrigerator and needed to come up with something easy that would be on the table within half an hour. Sausage soup!
This dish had tons of flavor, almost like a chili, and was on the table in about 30 minutes. The best part was it was all made in one pot!
For my gluten-free son I made his soup with gluten-free pasta separately. I just added a few scoops of the soup before I added the regular pasta to boil in the soup to his pasta. He loved it and took the leftovers to school today for lunch.
I served this with a nice thick slice of bread and green beans.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 bulk lean Italian Sausage, mild or hot your choice
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can petite diced tomatoes
- 3 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoon cumin
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 12 oz. pasta
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Heat olive oil over medium heat. Add sausage, onions and garlic to pan. Cook breaking sausage apart into small pieces with the side of the spoon as it cooks.
- Once sausage has fully cooked drain off any excess grease.
- Add chicken stock, tomatoes, spices and pasta to the pan. Stir well.
- Bring pan to a slow simmer and allow pasta to completely cook through 8-10 minutes.
- Taste and adjust spices as needed to your liking.
- Once pasta has completely cooked through remove pan from heat and serve. Top with shredded cheese when serving.