This post is a bit late today. Just like everyone else, life sometimes gets in the way. Today it was three doctor appointments, out-of-town, of course, a cello lesson and a library program. No, I do not sit around my house all day cooking dinner, cleaning or playing on the computer. I am just like most of you. I have a per diem job that is extremely flexible, which I am very grateful for. My kids are busy with lessons, after school activities and we live in the middle of no where so everything we want to do is a drive.
But, for those that follow me on Facebook, What’s for Dinner Moms?, saw a preview of this post yesterday. One of my resolutions was to get my family to eat more fruits and vegetables. I LOVE this chili. It can be customized to your family. Add or delete what you like or don’t like, put it in the slow cooker and out comes this amazing dish!
It was delicious! After dinner I asked my kids if they could taste any of the veggies and other than beans and peppers they could not tell me what was in the dish. When I told them they were surprised.
I had two large servings leftover for lunch today.
My mostly gluten-free son loved that this was gluten-free and he could eat the same dinner right along with us. Just remember to check your spices and tomato paste to make sure they really are gluten-free.
(Add or delete vegetables to your liking)
- 1 lb. ground beef (leave out if you wish to make it all vegetable)
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 cup baby carrots, fine dice or chopped
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1 yellow pepper, diced
- 2 stalk celery, fine dice or chopped
- 2 cans bean (your choice I used black beans) – drained and rinsed
- 32 oz. petite diced tomatoes – half drained, leave a bit of juice in the bottom
- 1/2 cup mushrooms, fine dice or chopped
- 1 cup chicken stock (or veggie stock if you are making it meat-free)
- 1 (6 oz.) can tomato paste
- 2 TBSP+ chili powder, more or less to taste
- 1 tsp garlic powder, more or less to taste
- salt and pepper
- garnishes – sour cream, shredded cheddar cheese
- Brown ground beef in a skillet until cooked through. Break into small pieces as it cooks with the side of a spoon.
- Place all ingredients in the slow cooker and stir. Cover and cook on low 7-8 hours until ready to serve.
- Taste and adjust spices as necessary. I added quite a bit of chili powder and garlic but we like things with tons of spice and flavor. Adjust to your tastes.
One Comment Add yours