Every once in a while my family loves a good, home-cooking casserole. The right combinations in a casserole can almost feel like a warm hug from when you were a child. They can evoke memories from your past. I always find it amazing to stop and think about the way food effects us emotionally and psychologically.
My kids love cheese. Anything cheesy will bring them running to the table. I had a bag of cut up chicken breasts to use and 1 jar of Alfredo sauce that I bought for a recipe and never used. Dinner!
This was delicious. I doctored up the jarred Alfredo sauce to make it taste less like a jarred sauce and more homemade but you can easily make your own. I normally don’t have jarred sauce on hand but was glad I had it last night to get dinner on the table quickly. Hands were being raised at the end of the meal to claim the leftovers for lunch the next day!
I served this meal with a green tossed salad and a side of broccoli.
- 1 jar of Alfredo Sauce
- 1 (16 oz.) box of pasta
- 1 1/2 lbs. chicken breast, cut into cubes
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 1 cup of Parmesan cheese, freshly shredded
- 1-2 teaspoons garlic powder (to your taste)
- black pepper and salt
- 2 cups Mozzarella cheese, freshly shredded
- parsley for garnish if desired
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 13 x 9 casserole dish with non-stick spray.
- Boil pasta according to package instructions to al dente.
- While pasta is boiling heat a medium skillet over medium high heat. Add butter to melt and then add chicken. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cook chicken until lightly browned and cooked through, about 7-10 minutes depending on the size of your chicken pieces.
- When pasta is cooked and drained add chicken and pasta back to sauce pan. Add Alfredo sauce, garlic powder, Parmesan cheese and black pepper. Stir well until cheese has melted.
- Pour 1/2 of chicken and pasta mixture into prepared casserole dish.
- Top with 1 cup of Mozzarella cheese sprinkled over the pasta.
- Pour remaining chicken and pasta mixture over the cheese.
- Top with remaining Mozzarella cheese.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until cheese has melted on top and is starting to lightly brown around the edges.
- Allow casserole to sit for 5 minutes before serving.