We are back to our To-Go dinners. Dance classes have picked up again to four a week so we are traveling much more than usual. Rather than stop at fast food restaurants for dinner I make our regular meals and put them into divided covered dishes for the kids to eat their dinner in the car. With a bottle of water to drink they get a full meal and I feel okay about them eating on the go.
Chicken legs and thighs have been on sale quite frequently lately. I have been able to get them for as little as $.79 a pound. I prefer dark meat because it has tons of flavor but don’t usually buy it because I know the boneless, skin less chicken breasts are healthier. But, I cannot pass up such a great sale.
I was really craving chicken and rice but didn’t want a creamy dish. I waned a dish with the a flavorful chicken sauce over rice. So, I created this dish.
It was a hit with my family. The best part is you can add as much garlic, oregano, and onion as your family wants. I give you what we liked and you can go from there.
The best part of the meal was that this is gluten-free so that we did not need to make any adjustments for my mostly gluten-free son.
I served this dish with a side of rice made with chicken stock, green beans and a green spinach salad.
- 3-4 lbs. chicken thighs and drumsticks
- 3 Tablespoons butter
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup feta cheese
- Lemon Juice
- 1 1/2 cups rice, cooked according to package directions substituting chicken stock for water if possible
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a large skillet (that can go into the oven) over medium heat melt the butter.
- Add the chicken skin side down to the skillet. Salt and pepper the chicken. Allow the skin to brown and then turn over. Salt and pepper this side of the chicken. Allow the skin to brown on the second side.
- Add 1 cup of chicken stock to the pan and sprinkle the garlic, oregano and onion powder over the chicken.
- While chicken is cooking prepare rice.
- Place skillet in oven for 50-60 minutes until chicken is cooked completely through.
- Remove pan from oven and sprinkle feta over the hot chicken. If there is not enough juice in the bottom of the pan to put over the rice add 1/2-1 cup of chicken stock and stir the sauce well.
- Sprinkle dish with a splash of lemon juice just before serving.
One Comment Add yours