We are getting ready to head to Walt Disney World soon. This mother-daughter trip just doesn’t seem real. I know that we received this wonderful suitcase from American Tourister (#PackMoreFun) and Disney Social Media Moms Conference (#DisneySMMC) to start packing our bags, but still it seems surreal. From the pictures above you can see what happened to my suitcase. My daughter quickly claimed how it was “perfect” for her. After the picture on the end it went right into her bedroom. I think I will be heading out to buy one for me soon because it is a great suitcase with tons of pockets and plenty of room.
I keep looking at our My Disney Experience account to see the hotels listed, the meals we are planning and the Fastpass+ we have made but it just doesn’t feel like we are going yet. I know the moment we hit the hotels in Disney it will all seem real.
My parents are here to spend a month visiting us. We are very excited but it also adds another level to our insanity. I like that my parents are able to see the kids over an extended period of time and that they can see the kids just doing what they do every day. Yesterday my mother went to Kalamazoo with us to my daughter’s private dance lesson. Grandma could see how much of an improvement my daughter has made since not being able to dance for so long after injuring both of her ankles.
We had dinner together last night. My parents are to the point in their life where they eat very little and both are struggling with losing their sense of smell and taste. So I am making dinners with strong flavors. Garlic, sesame oil and soy are among the spices that will be making a frequent appearance this month.
This recipe for Sesame Garlic Beef Tacos is from BHG.com. I was very skeptical of the red cabbage and cucumber Quick Pickled Slaw for the top of the tacos but it turned out to the be hit of the night!
This was a flavorful meal that was on the table in about 45 minutes! My family loves Asian flavors so this was perfect for us and a change from regular tacos. The Quick Pickled Slaw was delicious and everyone was eating the slaw before I even had a chance to serve it on the tacos. It was tart and sweet all at the same time.
For my mostly gluten-free son I use gluten-free soy sauce in making the dish and for him he has gluten-free tortillas.
- flour tortillas
- 1 1/2 lbs. ground beef, lean
- 3 TBSP Toasted Sesame Oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
- 1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 4 1/2 TBSP rice wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 TBSP water
- Sriracha, for serving if desired
For Quick Pickled Slaw:
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 2 TBSP sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 medium cucumber, sliced thinly
- 1 cup red cabbage, shredded
- Make the Quick Pickled Slaw first by whisking together vinegar, sugar, and salt in a medium bowl. Add cucumber and cabbage. Stir to combine. Let stand at least 15 minutes or up to 6 hours. Serve with a slotted spoon.
- Then in a large skillet, brown ground beef over medium-high heat. Drain fat and set beef aside.
- Add sesame oil to skillet. Add garlic and cook for 30 seconds over medium heat or until lightly browned. Stir in crushed red pepper. Stir in soy sauce, brown sugar, rice vinegar, and water. Bring to boiling. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Return beef to skillet; heat through.
- Heat tortillas according to package directions.
- To serve, spoon beef onto tortillas. Top with Quick Pickled Cucumbers and Slaw. Serve with Sriracha if desired.