I am always looking for easy, tasty ways to get dinner on the table as quickly as possible. I try not to use prepared items in my cooking for the most part. I have found simple exchanges for canned soups, canned biscuits and bottled sauces. But, sometimes a mom has to do what a mom has to do to get dinner on the table with a minimal amount of time and fuss. This is one of those meals.
We had a full day of shopping and getting things done around the house. I had bought 6 cans of Pillsbury Biscuit dough a few days ago. Now, this is something I buy maybe once every two-three years but I realized that we were having some busy days ahead and wanted to make things as easy on myself as possible.
I began searching for ideas of what to make for dinner when I remembered that Dairy Queen had a Barbecue Chicken wrap that everyone had liked when they did tastings here. I thought to make a dish similar to that in casserole form.
This was really good! It may not be presented beautifully but it was so simple to put together and on nights when you are struggling just to get home and can’t even begin to think of what to serve for dinner this works. I had several chicken breasts in the freezer that I had poached earlier in the month. (If you have never done this I highly suggest it as a way to cook a large amount of chicken to have pre-cooked and frozen for nights when dinners are going to be tough. No need to stop at the store to buy pre-cooked chicken you have it thawing in your refrigerator!) Saved me tons of time.
Both kids liked the dish. I served it with a side of green beans and a hearty side salad.
For my mostly gluten-free son I made a crust for his with a gluten-free baking mix. I added milk and egg for the biscuit dough and placed it in the bottom of the baking dish. I baked the crust for about 5 minutes to set and then made the rest of the dish with the same chicken and in the same manner as ours. He never really notices the differences any more.
- 2 large chicken breasts, pre-cooked and cut into smaller pieces
- 1 cup + your favorite barbecue sauce
- salt and pepper, as needed
- 1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 TBSP butter
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 can Pillsbury Crescent Roll, sheet
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease an 8″x 8″ square baking dish with non-stick spray. Lay the roll of crescent dough in the pans pressing the side of the dough up onto the sides of the baking dish. This may take some working of the dough but eventually you will get it all around the edges.
- In skillet or saucepan over medium heat melt the butter. Add the onions and allow them to begin to slightly brown at the edges.
- Add the chicken and barbecue sauce to the pan and stir well. Allow the chicken and sauce to warm slightly. Taste and adjust spices as necessary. If there is not enough barbecue sauce add a bit more to your liking.
- Once it has warmed pour the chicken barbecue sauce mixture into the prepared baking pan.
- Sprinkle the shredded cheese over the top of the dish and bake for about 20 minutes until dish is heated through and cheese is starting to slightly brown on top.
- Remove dish from oven and allow to sit for 5 minutes before serving.