“Some days are like that even in Australia,” is a phrase often repeated in our house when the day goes all wrong and seems to be busting at the seams.
This was one of those days. I am still nursing a sore knee. It is much better than it was three weeks ago but I still have a long way to go. It is difficult to cook, standing for long periods of time is out. So, my children have been a big help lately. I love how confident they are getting in knowing their way around the kitchen and helping to plan dinner.
This meal started out as Pizza with pesto and shrimp and ended up with Ravioli with Pesto and Shrimp. I read the recipe for the pizza dough to my son to put in the bread maker. He put 2 1/2 cups of flout in instead of 4 1/2 cups. Oops. So, after 2 hours of raising we had a bowl of ick.
Change of plans. I sent my daughter to the pantry and freezer in the basement to see what she could find. She came up with Cheese Ravioli and suggested we use that. Perfect!
The whole family loved this dish. Even my ricotta hating son thought it was good and had 2 servings. We had enough leftovers for 2 lunch servings the next day.
I served this with a green side salad and steamed baby carrots.
For my mostly gluten-free son I made this with gluten-free ravioli in his dishes.
- 2 (16 oz) bags of frozen cheese ravioli or fresh cheese ravioli
- 2/3 cup fresh pesto or your favorite jarred pesto
- 1 lb. shrimp, thawed if frozen
- 2 TBSP butter
- 3 oz. shredded Parmesan, freshly grated
- ground black pepper, freshly grated
- Cook ravioli according to package directions.
- While ravioli is cooking melt butter over medium heat in a large skillet. Add shrimp and saute for 3-5 minutes until shrimp is opaque and warmed through.
- When ravioli is finished cooking drain and return ravioli to pot.
- Add pesto, shrimp and a few turns of a pepper grinder to the ravioli.
- Stir until well combined.
- Serve immediately with freshly shredded Parmesan cheese over the top.