I have one child that is all about creativity, dance and emotion. I have a child who is a concrete thinker driven by facts, logic and little emotion. I am trying to help each child find the balance to their strengths. It is difficult at times. We don’t like to do things that are difficult for us so why do we expect children to willing do them? As adults we can see the benefits but to children they have trouble seeing the big picture.
So, when I find those little moments when they naturally occur to nurture the other side of their personalities I take advantage of them.
This meal was my son’s idea. He asked if he could make Grilled Cheese sandwiches with the leftover Pulled Pork. Of course! He put this all together in his head. Of course I am going to let him be creative with his food. I try to never let leftovers go to waste in our house. They are usually served for lunch the next day or made into something new for dinner a night or two later so this worked out perfectly. Love these cook once eat twice meals!
This was an awesome sandwich. First that my son came up with the idea and secondly he made them on his own. He needed some guidance in how to use the grill but other than that he did it all from choosing the kind of cheese to put in the sandwiches to cooking them.
We did learn by the second sandwich to add a bit of extra barbecue sauce to get the right saucy texture for the sandwiches.
I served this with a green salad but it would be great with a bowl of soup too.
- 8 slices of hearty bread
- butter, softened
- 8 oz. your favorite cheeses (my son used pepper jack cheese, sharp cheddar cheese and Swiss cheese)
- 1 1/2 cups of pulled pork (my son used our leftovers from Pulled Pork over Cheesy Fries, click for link)
- extra barbecue sauce
- Butter 4 slices of bread and put them butter side down in your grill pan or on a griddle.
- Divide cheese evenly among the 4 sandwiches.
- Divide the pulled pork evenly among the 4 sandwiches and add more barbecue sauce if needed.
- Butter second slice of bread and place on sandwich butter side up.
- Turn on stove or grill to medium-low and allow to cook 5-10 minutes until bread is golden. Carefully flip to second side. Cook slowly to allow bread time to turn golden and crispy. If needed turn heat down to low. Cook 5-10 minute until both sides of sandwich are golden in color.
- Remove from heat and serve.