When I first told my kids about this dish I got “the Face.” You know the scrunchy face your kids make when they think something sounds weird or yucky. They both said, “Buffalo sauce on shrimp? That will be disgusting.”
They love Buffalo wings and Buffalo sauce and I guaranteed them they would like it, but I still got, “the Face.”
I was right! Everyone loved this dish. It would make a great dish for a party or at a football game. It is different from plain Buffalo wings or tacos. It has a bit of spice to it but you can add more by drizzling it with extra buffalo sauce over the Tostada.
We set up a make your own bar for these so that each person could add what they preferred to their Tostada. I don’t like carrots so mine didn’t have carrots. My daughter prefers sour cream over Ranch dressing so hers had sour cream on it. We all liked that we could all make them as we wanted.
I served this with a green side salad.
For my mostly gluten-free son the corn tortillas were gluten-free so this was a gluten-free meal.
- 2 lbs. shrimp
- 1 cup of Frank’s Red Hot Sauce
- 2 TBSP butter, melted
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 8 corn tortillas
- olive oil
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- Blue Cheese
- Sour Cream, Ranch Dressing, Hot Sauce, etc… for serving if desired
- In a bowl, combine shrimp, Frank’s Red Hot sauce, melted butter and garlic powder. Stir well. Place shrimp in refrigerator.
- In a small skillet over medium heat, place one corn tortilla at a time to cook until it starts to brown and get crispy then flip over to the other side. Place cooked tortillas in a 170 degree oven to keep warm.
- Skewer the shrimp, reserving the remaining Frank’s Red Hot sauce for basting.
- Place skewers on grill, baste top of shrimp with reserved marinade and grill for one-two minutes on each side.
- Assemble: Place carrots and celery on tortilla shell. Top with shrimp, sauce, blue cheese and a drizzle of hot sauce, ranch dressing or sour cream as desired.