The two flavors that signal the beginning of the Christmas season to me are peppermint and chocolate. I love these two flavors individually and together!
I was looking for something simple that could be made for holiday work parties, school parties or your Christmas buffet. These are so easy my children made them! Using a boxed cake mix, Hershey’s Candy Cane Kisses, Starlight mints and a delicious butter cream frosting these cupcakes are so easy a tween/teen can make them.
The Candy Cane Kiss in the center of the cupcake adds just a hint of peppermint and the butter cream on top a hint of peppermint extract adds a nice light peppermint touch to the whole cupcake. My kids loved making these cupcakes but they loved eating them even more!
- 1 dark chocolate cake mix (ingredients for mix)
- 18-24 Hershey Candy Cane Kisses
- 1/4 cup butter
- 4 oz. cream cheese
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/8 tsp. peppermint extract
- 15-20 Starlight red and white mints, crushed in medium-sized pieces
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Make cake mix according to directions on package.
- Fill cup cake liners 2/3 full. Place a Candy Cane Kiss in the center of each cupcake upside down so the point is towards the bottom of the batter.
- Bake according to package recommendations.
- Remove cupcakes from oven and allow them to cool completely.
- In a bowl beat butter and cream cheese together until smooth and thoroughly combined.
- Slowly beat in powdered sugar, vanilla, and peppermint (if desired). Taste and adjust flavorings to your liking.
- Frost cupcakes and decorate with crushed red and white mints.