When I read this recipe for Shish Taouk from White House Red Door (click for link to original recipe) I knew I was going to make this recipe soon! We love Mediterranean food and I was excited to try this. There is a little Mediterranean restaurant near our house and we love to order new foods to try. Kibbe, Shwarma, and Shish Taouk are among our favorites.
If you haven’t checked out White House Red Door before now go do it! She is very sweet and has some really great ideas!
As Jean, of White House Red Door, points out there are hundreds of Shish Taouk recipe with different variations in ingredients. Every family or restaurant makes their own variation on this dish. It is chicken skewers with a yogurt sauce marinade. That much everyone agrees on from there it is pretty much up to taste.
This recipe was very easy and tasty! We used extra garlic in the sauce as we LOVE garlic but that is our preference. My son quickly claimed the leftovers for his lunch the next day.
I baked the chicken but next time I will grill it for the added flavor. With the temperature hovering around 25 degrees outside I didn’t feel like pulling the grill out of the garage to grill. I think that would only make this recipe even better as she recommends in the original recipe.
I served this with Naan, roasted red peppers and onions (baked in the oven with olive oil and garlic), the garlic sauce and feta for the kids.
- 2 cups Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 4 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast, cubed into 1″ piece
- 2-4 cloves of garlic, minced, to taste
- 1 egg white
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- generous pinch of salt
- ½ cup of canola oil
- 1-2 Tablespoons ice water
- Combine yogurt, lemon juice, extra virgin olive oil, garlic, tomato paste, cumin, smoked paprika, salt, pepper and chicken in a large bowl. Stir until all pieces of chicken are well coated and ingredients are combined. Cover bowl and refrigerate for at least 2 hours and up to 8 hours.
- While chicken is marinating make the garlic sauce. In a food processor combine garlic, lemon juice and generous pinch of salt until you make a fine paste of the garlic. With the food processor running, slowly pour in the egg white. As the processor continues to run, slowly add the canola oil in a steady stream. You should have a thick sauce at this point. Thin out slightly by adding 1-2 Tablespoons of ice water while the machine is running if needed. Place sauce in a bowl, cover and refrigerate.
- When you are ready to make the skewers, preheat your broiler or grill. Thread 5-6 pieces of chicken on each skewer. Don’t scrape the marinade off but let it cook right on the meat.
- Broil or grill chicken until done, about 15 minutes, turning over once at the halfway mark. Serve immediately with Naan, garlic sauce and roasted or grilled veggies.