Some nights dinner needs to be ready when you get home. I use my slow cooker for those nights. I have found that I can even make meatloaf in my slow cooker! My favorite meal is meatloaf and potatoes. Having it ready when we get home? Priceless.
Here are the tips I have found make this work best:
- Use a lean ground beef or turkey. You want some fat for flavor but too much and your meatloaf will be steaming in a vat of fat. I have found 90% works best for me.
- Use enough binder (bread crumbs, eggs, milk) so that your meatloaf won’t dry out while cooking.
- It takes about 4 hours to cook a 2 pound meatloaf on low. You will need to switch to keep warm at that point. If you have a programmable slow cooker this is easy but if not you need to plan to have someone switch it for you or plan to be there to do it yourself.
- Use three sheets of aluminum foil to cover your slow cooker. Place them in a cross pattern to cover the bottom and sides of the slow cooker. Leave enough overhang to lift the meatloaf out using the foil.
- Don’t let the meatloaf touch the sides of the slow cooker. It will get crusty, dry and burnt around the edges.
- If you want you can add potatoes over or around the sides of your meatloaf.
- Use a topping such as barbecue sauce, ketchup and hot sauce or your favorite sauce while cooking the meatloaf. You can put the meatloaf under the broiler for a few minutes to caramalize, as it will not brown in the slow cooker, if you wish.
So, make your favorite meatloaf on those busy nights. Let me know what works for you too!