When we read blogs I know I sometimes get a distorted image of someone’s life. Especially in some of the food blogs, or DYI the projects are perfect, the kids are perfectly dressed and the houses are perfectly clean of any clutter. Not here. I am giving you the real. The I actually took my kids through Taco Bell drive through yesterday and when my son asked, “What’s for dinner mom?” I looked at him and said, “You just ate it.” Yup. Truth.
As I sit looking around my house knowing that I have weeks worth of mail, school papers and laundry to fold (I can count 4 laundry baskets from here) I can tell life has gotten out of balance again. I think it will right itself in 3 weeks when Saint Patrick’s Day is over and my daughter isn’t dancing all the time, when Science O Regionals are done and practices aren’t three-four days a week, when orchestra festival is done and there are not 2 concerts in 3 weeks, and some of my son’s issues with school aren’t flowing over into home. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. At least I hope it’s the end…. and not a cliff.
I like our home neat and orderly. Ask my family and they probably say I am a bit over the top but right now my health and my family are coming first. So, my house is messy and I feel overwhelmed and out of control but I am still trying to get simple dinners out and for us to sit down as a family. I have a contractor coming this afternoon to look at a hole that my son put in the floor of the guest room. Yes, a hole, through the hardwood flooring, sub floor and into the ceiling in the basement. I don’t suppose I can just throw sheets over everything and say we are remodeling, huh?
So this is part of the dinner I made the other night and split into 2 posts.
The pretzel nuggets were good. I found these two recipes for dipping sauces at Rudi’s Bakery.com (Click for link to original recipes). My kids happily ate the pretzel nuggets with the homemade Honey Mustard Dipping Sauce. Everyone thought the Honey Mustard Sauce was as good as if not better than buying it in a bottle from the store.
But the Beer Cheese Sauce? Oh my goodness! It was not good with the chicken, but get some pretzels and start dipping because it was amazing! Both kids thought it was weird with the chicken too but then one of them dipped plain pretzels in it and told us all to try it. If we have time on Sunday we are making homemade pretzels and more of this sauce to dip. Seriously, if you like beer and cheese MAKE THIS DIP!
The recipe for the Chicken Nuggets can be found here – at Crispy Baked Potato Chip Nuggets (just substitute crushed pretzels – I used Honey Wheat, for the potato chips). Click for link.
Pretzel Coated Chicken Nuggets with 2 Dipping Sauces
Beer Cheese Sauce:
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 3 Tablespoons flour
- 1/2 cup fat-free half and half (or regular)
- 1/2 cup red or darker ale beer
- 1/2 Tablespoon yellow mustard
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- salt and pepper to taste
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Sprinkle flour over the top and stir to make a thick paste. Stir until the flour is fully mixed with the butter.
- Slowly pour milk into the pan and continue to stir until the milk and flour mixture thickens. It will coat the back of the spoon after 3-5 minutes.
- Add the beer to the milk mixture and continue to let it lightly simmer.
- Remove pan from heat and stir in the cheese, mustard, salt and pepper. Continue stirring until cheese has fully melted. Serve hot.
Honey Mustard Sauce:
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons yellow mustard
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 Tablespoons honey
- splash of lemon juice
- Mix all ingredients together in a small bowl until well blended. Taste and adjust to your liking. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving.