It is getting tougher to make different meals each night. This meal was because I needed a slow cooker meal for the kids while we were all going off in different directions. My daughter loves vinegar. Any kind of vinegar. I think she would just drink a bottle of it if we let her. So, I thought maybe I could make a modified version of German Potato Salad and add the sausages to complete the meal.
How easy is this to make? My daughter made dinner. The potatoes are cut into chunks because she thought that was easier. They can be sliced to make them look more like German Potato Salad but she didn’t want to take the time. That is the longest part of prepping the meal is cutting the potatoes, an onion and the sausage!
As soon as I got home they were asking to have this meal again soon. They had eaten all but a tiny portion that was about three bites!
I served this with a green salad and dinner was on the table.
The best part was the meal was gluten-free (double-check your sausage) and my mostly gluten-free son was thrilled to have the same meal as everyone else.
Slow Cooker German Style Potatoes and Smoked Sausage
- 2 1/2-3 lbs. potatoes, cut into small chunks or slices (slices will cook faster)
- 1 sweet onion, finely diced
- 2 lbs. smoked sausage, cut into 1/2 moon slices
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar, if desired (my children prefer not to have it but it helps cut the tartness of the vinegar)
- 1 teaspoon celery seeds, if desired
- salt and pepper
- Spray the bowl of the slow cooker with non-stick spray. Place the potatoes on the bottom and then cover with the onions. Mix together the chicken stock, vinegar, sugar and celery seeds (if using) in a small bowl and pour over the onions and potatoes. Add some salt and pepper.
- Place the sausage over the potatoes and onions.
- Cover and cook on low 6-8 hours until potatoes are tender. Sliced potatoes will cook faster than diced potatoes. Be careful not to over cook your potatoes or they will be mushy.
- Taste and adjust spices – salt, pepper and vinegar to your taste. Serve hot.