So, if you saw my meal plan for this week (click for link to post), you know we had a Simple Slow Cooker Chicken Noodle Soup with homemade bread for dinner last night. Almost every night this week I will be making a slow cooker meal because time is scarce to get dinner made and on the table.
I used my bread maker to help make dinner last night too. Knowing I wanted dinner on the table about 7:30 pm, yes we eat late. With both kids activities in middle school and high school events tend to run later into the evening now. So, my bread maker takes about 3 1/2 hours to cook a loaf of bread. I started the bread maker at 4 pm and we had hot bread with dinner!
We have all had this cold/cough that has been handing on for about a month. So, Chicken Noodle Soup was the perfect meal for all of us. Both kids ate two bowls full. I loved the bread!
My favorite part was how simple this was to make and how good it felt to serve it to my family.
I have found that Amish Kitchen Extra Wide Egg Noodles (made by Marzetti) are the best to use in my slow cooker. They are hearty and taste most like a homemade egg noodle to us. Only one grocery store near us carries them but if you find them give them a try. (I am not paid to endorse this product nor have any ties to this company. These are my own thoughts on this product.)
Simple Slow Cooker Chicken Noodle Soup
- 1 1/2 – 2 lbs. chicken breast (bone less, skin less) You can cut them into chunks but I chose to throw them in as is and shred the chicken at the end. Either way is fine.
- 8 oz. baby carrots, cut into 3rds
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 (32 oz) boxes chicken stock
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 (12 oz.) package of egg noodles
- Place chicken breasts, carrots, celery and chicken stock in slow cooker. Turn on low and cover for 6-8 hours.
- 30-45 minutes before serving uncover slow cooker and shred chicken if you did not cut it into chunks. Add egg noodles and stir well. Recover and cook for 15-20 minutes and then stir noodles.
- Cook an additional 5-15 minutes until noodles are cooked through. Taste dish and add salt and pepper as desired.
- Serve hot.