As we get closer to the end of the school year time for meals is getting shorter and shorter. I have to be super organized and have our meals planned out to avoid picking up a pizza or ordering in Chinese food. Our menu for the next week includes:
Tuesday: Slow Cooker Roasted Garlic and Potato Soup (dance and lessons)
Wednesday: Lemon Butter Pork Chops
Thursday: Slow Cooker Chicken Stroganoff with Amish Noodle (dance and orchestra concert)
Friday: Banana Bread Pancakes (Lion King Jr. performance)
Saturday: Homemade Pizza (Lion King Jr. performance)
Sunday: Chicken Fajita Pasta (Lion King Jr. performance)
Monday: Grilled Sausage with pasta and potato salads
I love ground turkey because I know it is a bit healthier than ground beef but it can be bland and dry (I use all white meat ground turkey). It needs lots of flavoring and spices to really pack a punch like this dish does!
This tasted better than we thought it would! I made extra sauce for over the angel hair pasta but you could also make this with brown rice or low mein noodles for a great dish.
The heat in this is on the slightly higher side. If you don’t like heat cut back the red pepper flakes and start with a teaspoon at a time to build up to where you like it.
This was great for our mostly gluten-free son as he had his served over gluten-free spaghetti to make his dish gluten-free.
Orange Ground Turkey Pasta Bowl
- 2 large heads of broccoli, cut into florets and stem pieces
- 2 lbs. ground turkey
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 5 cloves garlic, minced finely
- 1 heaping tablespoon red pepper flakes
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger (or more to taste)
- 1 1/2 cups orange juice (freshly squeezed or instant both work)
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons corn starch
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 12 oz angel hair pasta, (brown rice or low mein noodles – if desired for serving)
- Steam broccoli in a covered pan over medium heat until desired doneness is reached.
- While broccoli is steaming make pasta according to package directions.
- Begin heating sesame oil in a large skillet or wok over medium heat. Add ground turkey and break into small pieces as it cooks.
- Drain off any extra fat, if there is any, from the meat. Add garlic to pan and allow to cook for 1-2 minutes to become fragrant.
- Add red pepper flakes, orange juice and soy sauce. Allow the sauce to come to a slow simmer.
- Mix cornstarch and cold water in a small cup until cornstarch is dissolved.
- Stir into meat mixture and allow sauce to thicken. Add broccoli to mixture and stir well to heat through. Remember to taste and adjust spices to your liking – add more garlic, ginger or soy as needed.
- Serve hot over pasta or rice.