The kids and I went yesterday to pick up our first Community Supported Agriculture box (CSA) from a local organic farm. It was like Christmas. The kids wanted everything for dinner but we settle on a few select things to try with our meal.
Included in our box were:
- Kale – several varieties – Lacinato, Green, Curly
- Italian Herb Blend – includes tarragon, oregano and thyme
- Radishes – plum purple variety
- Mustard Greens – spicy purple
- Arugula – micro greens, also a bit spicy
- Hakurei Turnips – a mild sweet salad turnip, very nice raw or cooked
- Spinach – baby spinach
- Blueberry preserves – a jar of last season blueberries, carefully preserved and ready to eat until the fresh ones are ready
We used some of the Arugula micro greens and Lacinato Kale to make a salad topped with Feta, Craisins and candied pecans.
Next to our first grilled steak of the season they made an excellent side dish. That was all we needed for dinner. A huge side salad and some steak.
This is what the kids really wanted to try. The blueberries! They added them to fresh-baked French bread from the bakery and sprinkled just a tiny bit of sugar over it for a sweet treat!
This was a delicious start to our CSA share and we can’t wait to see what the coming weeks bring!